Saturday, 13 February 2010

The B Choice.



Its funny how things happen in your life,and at the time,especially if those things are bad,you cannot see that these things may have happened for a reason.At present I am sat here,feeling the most positive and driven I've felt for a long time,and thinking that the negative things that have happened in the last year or so,have actually shaped the mood of positivity I am feeling at present.

There is one person responsible for this new burst of optimism-Steph Davis,the world class climber.As previously noted I have a fascination with people who live on the extreme.Many of the people who I've read about recently with unorthodox lives are climbers.Why climbing attracts such devotion is strange,but surfing and probably skiing attracts the same commitment-people who live with their favourite activity as the main interest in life,with subsequent things like careers and material aspects of life taking a back seat.

Steph Davis took up climbing in her late teens,while studying at university.She gained her degree,then gained a masters degree,then entered law school.After a week at law school,she decided it wasn't for her and decided to adopt full-time the dirtbag climbing lifestyle,living typically on less that $6000 a year,waiting tables part-time for minimum wage and climbing.The next seven years,she lived in the back of her car-but this unorthodox life lead to her becoming one of the worlds best climbers.On one advert for some climbing company she was sponsored by,a question asked A or B.The A option involved the life she would have had if she became a lawyer-loads of money,nice house,car,clothes,etc,but long hours and no time to climb.The B option was the path she had chosen-minimum wage job,basic living conditions,no money,but freedom to climb.This struck a cord with me.For ages I've been trying to think of work I would actually enjoy,but I was hit by the revelation that I may have been looking at things the wrong way round.Instead of finding a job you like doing,just do less work full stop!

I am in the position for the first time in years where I don't actually need much money.With the simplification of my life,my expenses have dwindled.I have therefore decided to spend less time working and more time running.I've not got aspirations of being a world beater-I just want to give it my best shot and see what the result is.The targets for the year-12 hour race in August and a 24 hour race in October.See how it goes!

Sun 31 Jan a.m 1hr 30-flat p.m 1hr-flat
Mon 1 feb-no running
Tues 2 Feb a.m 1hr p.m 1hr 30
Wed 3 Feb a.m 1 hr 30 p.m 1hr 15
Thurs 4 Feb a.m 1hr 30
Fri 5 Feb p.m 2hrs
Sat 6 Feb p.m 2hrs
Sun 7 Feb Cleethorpes Beach Cross country race.8500 m--11th
Mon 8 Feb p.m 1hr 30/1hr rest/1hr
Tues 9 Feb no running
Wed 10 Feb p.m 2hrs 30
Thurs 11 Feb p.m 2hrs 30
Fri 12 Feb a.m 4hrs 30
Sat 13 Feb p.m 1hr 30

No comments:

Post a Comment